PERRANUTHNOE is a small village on the South Coast of Cornwall, just East of Marazion, there is a Car Park and sloping access to a safe sandy beach and the beachside Cabin Cafe. It has The Victoria Inn a superb multi award winning pub, which serves super food both lunchtimes & evenings, - a Church dating back as far as 1160. The Lynfield Centre which houses The Cowhouse Gallery, The Peppercorn Cafe and a hairdressers.

Sunday 20 August 2017

Sunday - a very soggy Porthleven Lifeboat Day

Unfortunately the forecasters were right and it was already drizzling when I got up.  I decided to head to Porthleven to support the event and to see if I could get at least some photos.
I arrived in the marquee and first thing I saw was this display of the new book Penlee Lifeboat Station Service Not Self with Elaine Trethowan  Penlee's Lifeboat Press Officer, who has done much of the research sitting alongside 
It was fairly early and just a little later this marquee was packed
Took the camera out for a quick photo and then as I walked along I could hear a helicopter
There it was and I lifted the camera straight into the drizzle so not a good photo. The Coastguard 924 helicopter had just been to the Lizard Lifeboat Station where despite the horrible conditions they had managed to do a demonstration with the Lifeboat for their Lifeboat Day and gave us a fly-past as unfortunately they would not be doing one for us !
I walked round to the Old Lifeboat Station to view the exhibition 
and watch Martin Brockman give his superb talk on the history of  Lifeboats in Mount's Bay and of course the Penlee Lifeboat 

 The ill fated Solomon Browne
I walked around the Harbour just in time to see the Penlee Inshore Lifeboat Mollie and Ivor Dent arriving - sadly the Ivan Ellen had been called out on a "shout"
Lots of photos of their display - struggled to choose 

















The RNLI lifeguards in their inflatable joined in

Some water play 

I think you can see why I didn't bring the dogs
My zoom lens foreshortening the distance between them and the wall 

Amazing to see how many people there were on a day like today 
Lots of waving 

Off they went into the mist
I then made my way back to the car and home - turned up the heat and put socks on, but I'm still cold.
The rain did stop eventually and Jim took the dogs for a misty walk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have had to add the word verification as I am getting lots of obscene messages in the comments